Monday, January 10, 2011

Weekend in Review - Arizona Shooting


I have not blogged about the weekend shooting and assassination attempt yet for two reasons: 1) I was angry and 2) I wanted to find out more information and see if any motive was established. As of today, 1/10/11, 1:25 EST, there has been none. Through I am still angry and confused about what happened, I am calm enough at this point not to point fingers and though I have my own ideas, theories, and beliefs on what prompted this heinous act, I am going to keep those ideas out of this posting. At this point in time, people are dead, some injured and some fighting for their lives. 20 people, in fact. 20 people shot in cold blood. Six are dead.

A 9-year old girl, Christina Taylor Green, interested in politics, newly elected to her schools student council.

A 30-year old man, Gabe Zimmerman, engaged to be married, community outreach coordinator for Rep. Gabrielle Giffords.


A 63-year old man, John Roll, U.S. District Judge in Arizona, husband, father, grandfather.

A 76-year old man, Dorwin Stoddard, shielding his wife from the bullets.

A 76-year old woman, Dorothy Morris, homemaker from Reno, Arizona resident of 10 years, wife, mother and grandmother.

A 79-year old woman, Phyllis Schneck, a New Jersey native, wintered in Tuscon, wife, mother, grandmother, active in her church.



I think it is human nature to ask why....why would a 22-year old man attempt assassination on a member of Congress. Why were Gabe Zimmerman, Dorwin Stoddard, Dorothy Morris, Phyllis Schneck, Christina Taylor Green and John Roll killed? Why were 14 others injured? What was the shooters motivation? What was going through his head? All of us want to know. All of us have asked the questions. Many have pointed fingers...thinking they know. No one knows at this point. We may not know. As of today he has been uncooperative according to Pima County Sheriff, Clarence Dupnik.

Pointing fingers will not help the situation today, or tomorrow, nor did it help yesterday. I admit, I placed blame quickly...again, it is human nature to do that. Was I right to place blame without knowing the facts? No. I wasn't. I was wrong. I can admit that. My blame could be in the right place, or it could not. It doesn't matter today. What matters is the 20 people who were shot. Their friends, their families, this country as a whole...not Republicans, not Democrats, not those in the middle. People matter today no matter what their affiliation.

When you find yourself pointing a finger, stop for a second. Stop until the truth is out, we are absolutely sure of the motivation and judgment is beginning to be served, take a step back...remember those fighting for life...remember the 6 Americans who were shot...and take a moment to reflect on them.

No comments: