Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Day in Review - Eat it Today...Wear it Tomorrow...

Well today is my week and a day anniversary of my big stop smoking decision.  In general, I feel great!  There are a few things that I am experiencing though that I hope are temporary.  According to what I have read and people in my online support group, they are...but they are weird and funny, so I thought I would share them with all of you!

1) Wanting to Eat Everything in Sight:  My Nana used to always say "Eat it today, wear it tomorrow", and that is the phrase that has been going through my head every time I put something in my mouth. I am trying to make "healthy" snack choices like grapefruit, but it isn't always easy! One second I want something crunchy...the next minute I want something sweet.  If I didn't know better, I would assume I was pregnant with these weird cravings, but if you have read the post called Why I am Still Single and the Bridget Jones Rhetoric you know I am not pregnant at this time. (By the way, I opened up my yahoo account just today after a good week of being away and there were NINE "offline" messages from Penis Guy. All variations of "Hi", i.e. Hello, Hey, Hiya, etc.)  Back on topic, though I have been "eating it today", so far my jeans still zip and button. 

Me at the gym --- Just kidding!  I am PHAT not FAT
2) Insomnia: This is, so far, the part I am hating the most about not smoking. I have been having horrible insomnia. Trying to look at the positive side of this though, I have gained a lot of knowledge about the Time Life Music CD Box Sets that are for sale and been able to spend extra time with Anthony Bourdain as Travel Channel has been playing his show over night. I have also started my Christmas list for next year and will include the Sobakawa Cloud Pillow and the InStyler, but not the Pajama Jeans or Kangaroo Keeper. The bad thing about all of this is I have tried many things to combat this insomnia, like melatonin, valeran root, Tylenol PM, NyQuil, lavender aromatherapy, meditation, counting sheep, exercising before bed, no caffeine or eating after 6:00pm...none of this has worked. The best I did was two beers and a Tylenol PM, but I don't think that is especially healthy to do every night. Luckily, this "side effect" only lasts around 1-2 weeks, so I am getting through it.
Sobakawa Cloud Pillow - If you are looking to buy me a gift, write this down!

3) Dreams: When I have been sleeping, I am having insane dreams! I know what you're thinking..."Christa, you always have strange dreams". These are different though...similar to my "ghost/scratch" dream. If I had ever done drugs, I would expect this. I really think these dreams are real. It is like every smell, sight, color, event, tough, taste is magnified 10 times...definitely not normal dreams. I woke up the other day and started writing an e-mail to one of my friends about my thoughts on something we did in a dream...only to realize halfway through writing it...IT DID NOT HAPPEN!  (PS - I may just be going insane and this is not a side effect of not smoking, but humor me, ok??)  I have had dreams about: a very in depth discussion with Rep Gabby Giffords about dog food (Beneful vs Pedigree), dinner at Tiger Sushi (a made up restaurant) with my sister and one of my oldest friends, Nicole,  A ride in a golf cart through a park with another old friend Abby (she was driving and ran over a bag of Skittles that I very much wanted to eat), and a very fun party with people from high school that was not only people from my own high school, but totally random individuals I have never met in real life, but was best friends with at the party.

4) Irritation: Luckily this one is just about out of my system. I will admit I snapped at the Cox Cable man who called me tonight. The conversation went like this:

COX CABLE: I see you have cable and internet with our company Ma'am. Is this correct?
ME: Yes (In an annoyed tone)
COX CABLE: I have a wonderful offer that will allow you to pay just $99 a month if you add phone to your plan. That is only a bit more than you normally pay, but you get a phone new service.
ME: Did you just call me on a phone?
COX CABLE: Yes, Ma'am. I called you at XXX-XXX-XXXX (He said my phone number)
ME: Right, so obviously I have a phone, correct?
COX CABLE: Yes, Ma'am. I just want to tell you about this great offer...
ME: (Cutting COX CABLE OFF): If I wanted a land line with Cox, I would have gotten a land line with Cox.
COX CABLE: Yes, Ma'am. We have other offers...
ME: (Cutting COX CABLE OFF AGAIN): I have a phone, that you just called. I only need one, Thanks.
(ME HANGS UP)

Usually I am not that short with peeps, cause I try to understand this is their job....I suppose today was an exception.

5: I Attract Smokers: It seems like the past 4 days or so, everywhere I go, there is someone smoking or smelling of smoke. I see them in their cars, walking down the street, in parking lots, in stores, (not smoking in stores, but I smell it on them) Before I get grossed out by the smell, which DOES happen, thankfully...there is a split second where I want to be by them...I want to smell them...I want to just make-out with them. I don't care who it is...I want them to be right by me. Rather it is an old man, hot man, ugly woman, hot woman...I don't care. For that tiny moment, a part of me just wants to jump on them to get some amount of nicotine. (Thankfully this only lasts a short amount of time before I enter into any time of relationship with said old man or ugly woman...though I wouldn't say no to hot man...except for now, I would, cause I shouldn't be around a smoker) There are a lot of smokers out there I have noticed. It's all good though...I am strong...stronger than I actually thought!

In closing, a random thought of the day and something for you all to ponder.  Why is it that you can see someone who is "ugly as home-made soap" (another gem from my late Nana) but if they have a foreign accent you want to marry them at the next convenient time for both of you? Maybe it's just me....

4 comments:

Cletis said...

While you're up all night, WRITE THAT SHORT STORY. Geez, get an editor all excited and you vanish from the earth.

I would have liked Nana.

By the way, my log in word right now is "feepreg". Is that significant?

Anonymous said...

I think it just "Seems" like everyone else is smoking. When I quit, I saw smokers everywhere!!! Every person in every car was smoking. There were a million people at work that were smoking and I was no longer in the group! I felt left out! It wasn't fair! Why did they get to smoke and I couldn't!??!?!?!?!?

It's not really happening. No more people are smoking than when you were smoking. Smoking is just on your mind more and you notice the smoke.

It will pass.

It doesn't happen over night. You have been smoking a long time. Be patient with yourself. Don't get over confident! Also remember it is a gradual process. Sometimes you don't even notice the small successes you have everyday!

:)

Anonymous said...

I remember #5 so vividly. I felt like everyone around started to smoke just to mess with me. That was the hardest part about quitting smoking. I had wished that everyone would quit smoking, so that I wasn't tempted with it.

Now, just yesterday, I was appalled because a woman was lighting up as I was walking into a drug store. I even tried shielding my daughter's lungs from the toxic smoke. So now I wish everyone would quit smoking so that I would have to smell it, be by it, or see it.

Two completely different reactions to smoking. You will get there. Hang in there. I am so proud of you for going through this incredible feat. Everyday will get easier until you can't believe that you ever smoked.

Adam said...

you are rocking! keep it up!