Monday, May 3, 2010

Hurrah for "The Pill"!

I would like to take some time tonight to wish a Happy 50th Birthday to "The Pill"! I am a huge fan of the pill for many reasons. How cool is it that a birth control pill of any make, brand, model, etc, is just collectively known as "The Pill"! There have to be millions of other medications, but only one can stand strong and just be known as: "The Pill".

I am 31, so it was out a long time before I was born, but I am a happy and satisfied user of this type of contraception and have collected my thoughts about how utterly useful it can be. No, I am not just talking about sex here ladies and gents, though that is a definite bonus if you don't want to have a baby at this particular time in your life, but talking about the other effects of the pill...then, of course, I will discuss the sex part.

I went on "The Pill" about 10 years ago after some particularly painful weeks around my uterine area. After x-rays, scans and an internal ultrasound (Yes...they stick a wand "you know where" and the nurse moves it around inside you.) I was diagnosed with a fairly serious case of ovarian cysts. The doctor I was seeing at the time was talking surgery...I was talking about how no one was about to cut into my ovaries. I went and got a second opinion and the new doctor wanted to try "The Pill" first to see if it would help. I was very thankful for her insight.

The first month I was on "The Pill" I felt amazing! I almost immediately stopped having the pain in my "ovarian region", within a month my skin looked amazingly beautiful and I even lost some weight! I was so excited to get my period just to see how that would feel! It was the best period I ever had. Here and gone in 3 days, very light and almost no cramps. It was a miracle and the miracle still happens every month. I almost don't even remember what cramps feel like anymore and of course, I am still very beautiful.

The next thing the pill did for me was to put me on a strict schedule, that I still follow 10 years later. (Unless I sleep in, of course) Every morning I take "The Pill" at 7:30am. I credit "The Pill" for making me semi-responsible in my life when it comes to schedules and times. Since I started taking it, I get disappointed with myself if I am late for a meeting or other scheduled event.

The third thing the pill did for me, and for many women, is to give sexual freedom and not have to worry about getting pregnant, though the fear of an STD is strong with me. That could be the one downfall of "The Pill". I am not saying that I went crazy with 1000's of partners or anything, but with the few gentleman I have chosen to be intimate with, it was comforting to know I was in control of my fertile-self and didn't have to worry about a condom or if the idiot put it on right, etc. It gave women freedom and control of themselves and their bodies and that is just as important today as it was 50 years ago.

Tonight, I raise my glass of Pinot Grigio to those pioneers who brought the pill into fruition and gave millions of women the power, choice and freedom over our bodies and our wombs.

Next up? Someone should create a birth control/Anti - STD pill! If only I hadn't gotten a C in college chemistry, it might have been me...

No comments: